PURPOSE OF ROLE
The Senior Administrator in R&D is responsible for several process driven functions supporting New Product Development and the general running of the department. As well as running several functions, they are expected to be knowledgeable in the non-engineering inner-workings of R&D and the wider organization, in order to be able to guide and advise other staff on services and materials they need to do their jobs.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintenance and Renewals. The role holder is required to manage R&D’s annual calendar of license renewals, software maintenance, subscriptions, contracts, patent annuities and conformance certifications. The role holder is expected to size and scope the renewal appropriate to business needs often under the guidance of the Business Systems Manager and stakeholders. Negotiation is often required to meet the requirements of the company’s cost containment program. For this, collaboration with the indirect purchasing manager may be necessary.
- Laboratory & Estates Administration. There is a considerable collection of mandatory and regulatory renewals relating to Labs and estates. The role will support this function, by monitoring the calendar of events, liaising with the lab engineer and site services team, and arranging necessary purchase order cover. This function requires controlled documentation and certification management.
- Sourcing and procurement. The role holder is a super-user of the Supplier Portal which is the
company’s system for indirect purchasing (Anything not automatically scheduled and purchased by Oracle ERP). Any person in the department can use the supplier portal if they purchase regularly, however, this role will provide a service by placing orders on behalf of originators. The role holder will also make admin changes to the system, enabling new users and providing support where needed. The Sourcing aspect of this function will involve finding the best supplier available at the time using such criteria as cost and lead-time. This function also requires preparing AR (Appropriation Requisitions) including providing financial justifications. Sourcing may also involve setting up new suppliers in ERP via a documented process.
- Logistics: The role holder arranges DHL distribution from and to The Gro
- Item Creation Administration. The role holder will accept Item Creation Notes (ICN) from R&D and CFT staff and follow the process to create new items on Control Techniques ERP system. As well as issuing new Component Item numbers (part numbers) for manufacturing use, this function also issues other controlled item numbers for documentation.
- Templates and Documentation. This function supports the business systems manager to maintain good order and governance with controlled templates and other documentation in R&D
- Trade and Compliance: This function involves ensuring due diligence is followed in exporting controlled technology, through a defined process.
- The role holder works largely stand-alone often following instructions and documented procedures, but also needs to engage critical thinking with regards to our varied renewal schedule.
- Planning horizon is hourly working towards a daily/weekly plan, although advanced forward planning of several weeks maybe required on some renewals.
- The department functions are dependent on the correct and timely execution of renewals, item creation and purchase orders.
- The Role-holder should strive to be a go-to person in the department for anyone who needs non- engineering related guidance on getting something done.
AUTHORITY & DECISION MAKING
- Authority and decision making are not significant aspects of the job, except in low-level areas, however the ability to work around an impasse without necessarily asking the line manager for support is crucial for smooth operation. The role holder will need to collaborate with multiple stakeholders.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- 3 years+ experience in working on supply chains and associated processes or financial administration in the acquisition of goods and services from suppliers on behalf of internal customers.
- 3 years+ in using Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Approachable and amenable always.
- Ability to express an interest to stakeholders in the issues and support needs they are presenting.
- Concise verbal and written communications.