MARCHES ENERGY AGENCY
Finance Manager: £30,000-33,000
As MEA potentially grows quite significantly, you will play a key role in ensuring our internal financial stability. This will include all aspects of financial planning and management. You will be experienced in corporate accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, budgeting and forecasting, and will lead on the development and implementation of relevant policies and procedures.
We are an independent, Midlands-based charity with 25 years’ experience helping householders keep warm and well at home, and currently support around 7,500 struggling householders per year.
We have grown quickly in the last 2 years, and there could well be strong future growth over the next 2-5 years. We are now seeking a new Finance Manager to help underpin this. For a full range of our activities please visit www.mea.org.uk
- To be responsible for providing financial advice, support and management information on behalf of the trustees to ensure that all financial practices are in line with statutory legislation and regulations.
- To be responsible for the effective management of the finances and ensuring clear and effective communication and support for all staff, stakeholders, volunteers, trustees and our partners with regard to finance.
- To be responsible for finalised statutory accounts working papers prior to submission by external accountant.
Financial Accounting and Reporting:
- Responsible for all finance functions of the charity including preparation of budgets, maintaining oversight of recording and processing all incoming/outgoing transactions, monitoring and controlling finances.
- To line manage other finance staff, currently a book-keeper (P/T 2 days per week) who undertakes all day-to-day finance tasks, and payroll functions.
- Produce quarterly management accounts and associated reports as required by the Board of Trustees.
- Coordinating and directing the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and report variances.
- Annual statutory accounts production and liaison with external accountants.
- Liaison with external finance resource to ensure the integrity of work for auditing.
- Work with MEA staff and external funders to ensure funding bids and subsequent reports are managed well.
- Implement and monitor financial controls. Develop financial policies and procedures as required, and actively support and train staff to implement them.
- Investigate and potentially implement the setup and running of the financial and legal aspects of a charitable trading arm for the installation of energy efficiency measures.
- Work closely with the Director, Operations Manager and Project Managers to ensure the efficient and effective financial running of the charity.
- Five years of experience in Accountancy and finance
- Three years of experience as Finance Manager or similar role
- Advanced qualification in accounting
- Qualified or Part qualified ACCA/CIMA/ACA
- In-depth understanding of General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Experience of working on your own initiative, under pressure and to deadlines
- Highly organised with good attention to detail and checking ability
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a willingness to get involved with all aspects of the charity
- High level of numeracy and literacy skills
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Good understanding of computerised accounting software
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Outlook, Word, Excel & Power point
- Sense of ownership and pride in your performance and its impact on charity’s success
- A self-motivated, enthusiastic individual with a good sense of humour
- Experience of QuickBooks Accounting System
- Experience of sole management of finance systems
- Experience of working in a charity/ fast growing organisation
- HR and payroll experience
- Ability to share ideas and promote best practice within a team
- A positive and flexible approach to work with an ability to react to change as it happens
- An understanding of the impact of cold homes on people’s health and wellbeing and of our unfolding climate and ecological emergency
Pay: £30,000-33,000 per annum, with potential for increase in future years linked to future charity growth; optional employer pension of up to 5%; work travel costs paid; opportunity to benefit from a team-related annual performance bonus.
Location: MEA’s Shrewsbury office or home working.
Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week.
Leave: 24 paid days pro-rata per annum + bank holidays.
Application process: CV and covering letter to Philip Towers – firstname.lastname@example.org by 1pm on Wednesday 2nd February 2022. Interviews will be in week commencing Mon 7th February. We expect to hold 2 rounds – initially on zoom, then face-2-face, subject to c19, in our Shrewsbury office. Successful applicant will start in late February/ early March, and work alongside the current Finance Manager until end March 2022.