This is fixed term position for up to 12 months in the first instance to cover maternity leave. Working for a small friendly team, based at FSC Head Office, Nr Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Overall Job purpose:
Working as part of the HO Finance Team undertaking a Cost Accountant role with main responsibilities for ensuring that project work is undertaken and that projects are delivered on time and to the brief, ensuring that finance is represented in these projects and that financial considerations are more widely understood. Implement controls resulting from these projects to ensure the smooth implementation and understanding within the finance team and wider FSC. The post holder needs to have a significant understanding of operational procedures in order to carry out the role successfully.
Although primarily office based, this is essentially a pro-active role which will require moderate physical effort, i.e. moving office files, and intensive periods of time spent working on computer systems.
· FSC lead for costing new and existing products. Initial project to identify basic costs of each type of course so that appropriate margins can be assessed and suitable sales pricing generated. Task specific KPIs and targets will be set and reviewed on an ongoing basis.
· Calculate the standard costs for service delivery, evaluate variances between Centre delivery to identify best practice. Work with learning locations to resolve and understand variances.
· Proactively engage with all product leads to provide advice and support in the development of new products
· Key contact within Finance for costing of new products/projects as they arise.
- Design and develop appropriate profitability metrics by centre and income/expense type, analysing these and interpreting the information in order to provide greater understanding by the SLT and learning locations. Highlighting any areas which require corrective action and communicating these with the relevant learning location.
- Design and develop standardised templates for costing new and existing products
- Work closely with the Fundraising team to support new grant applications and funding bids.
- Finance lead on Nature Friendly Schools and NCS projects (and any other new projects as may be identified from time to time) to ensure that services are delivered to budget.
· Key team member of the HO Finance team responsible for implementation of new systems to ensure that financial controls are understood and adhered to both in the Finance Team and wider organisation.
· Reconcile all individual Sales Control Accounts for each FSC Centre between the Finance System and the Bookings System, working to aid the smooth running of the ledgers. The volume of sales invoices raised annually is approximately 25,000.
· Manage the forfeits, refunds and cancellations process for bookings where necessary to ensure that processes have been followed and refund was the appropriate action
· Reconciliation of the secure server system which takes payments for Courses from individuals and the bookings system
· Provide financial support to the Outdoor Learning for Wales and Outdoor and Woodland Learning for Scotland projects, produce quarterly financial statements and ensure funds are received
· Responsible for claiming of Gift Aid from HMRC for membership and donations received in a timely manner to ensure maximum funding from these sources
· Responsible for debt chasing of sales invoices generated by Head Office eg grants, tenancy
· Responsible for all financial records for multiple funded Global overseas projects including purchase ledger expenditure, maintaining relationships with external partners, ensuring payments to other partners are authorised and paid within terms, reporting data to the EU, project manager and other external partners. Compile income and expenditure accounts for the whole project and FSC. Working with multi-currency organisations.
· Responsible for absence cover for the incoming bank payments being updated to the correct customer or nominal record
· Oversee the corporate train travel booking account
· Preparation of monthly reconciliations on the BPA and Euro bank accounts
· Responsible for meeting colleague’s foreign currency requirements.
· Analytical review of centre annual financial returns and report and investigate any variances.
· Preparation and entry of authorised nominal ledger journals and internal transfers.
· Maintain a good working knowledge of Sales and Purchase Ledger procedures and fixed assets both for their impact on general ledger and for holiday cover.
· Assist with any accounting and administrative duties as may arise from time to time.
- Holidays - 28 day inc bank holidays (increases with length of service - up to 5 extra days)
- Sick Pay
- Employee Assistance programme
- Life Assurance
- Health Cash Plan
- Friendly Team
- Free parking
- FSC Workwear
- Training & Development
- Happy to talk flexible working!
For further details and to apply please visit our website at -
The closing date for receipt of your completed application is 12 noon on Monday 17th February 2020
Interviews are scheduled to take place at FSC Head Office on Monday 24th February 2020
Please note we do not accept CV’s without a completed application form.